Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Alaska Cruise Day 6...

This port was one of my favorites as well.  We stopped in Ketchikan for a half day.  We all woke up bright and early for our excursions.  My parents, the kids and Nancy all went to a lumbar jack show and they all enjoyed that.  Payton even got a huge chair made from a stump, it was too big for the plane so it sadly was left behind. The rest of us went on a kayaking tour and for the most part most of us enjoyed it.  It's weird that at all of our ports it rained but didn't ruin any plans.  It was supposed to be that way and we were prepared.  In Ketchikan they average 260 days of rain, 152 inches of rain, and only 37 inches of snow.  While on the drive to our tour our bus driver was telling us about the school sports.  Pretty much every city in Alaska for school sports they are flown from school to school to play.  Since Ketchikan gets so much rain soccer, football, softball, and baseball are all played on gravel fields.  I can't even imagine how that would feel to fall.  I'm sure the teams flying in aren't very excited to play on their fields.
I love kayaking I think it is so much fun and very relaxing.  I don't think we have been kayaking since our honeymoon.  Nic and I are pretty awesome at it too, just fyi, we work together really well.  We did a 3 mile loop and saw some cool things.  We saw starfish, jellyfish, eagles, fish, and even a whale.  At one point the whale swam under us which it pretty crazy to think about.
 This is supposed to be dad and the kids..
 Our kayaking skirts = awesome..

 Juvenile bald eagle..







 You can tell how much fun Cecelia was having...









 Payton again got to go to the Princess Pelicans, she got a stuffed animal whale and was watching a movie and eating ice cream.
 Our last formal night...


 Lobster and pron dinner..






We hit a storm that night so they cancelled the movie under the stars they even closed off all of the outside decks because of the high winds and rain.  Around 1 a.m I woke up because of how bad the boat was rocking.  It wasn't the normal side to side rock it was an up and down sit up in your bed kind of motion.  I shook Nic and told him I was scared.  I got out of bed and walked around the ship just to see outside.  But it was pitch black.  I could only see as far as the lights from the ship went. And what I saw were some pretty big waves slamming into the ship.  This didn't help my sense of security.  I went back into the room and laid down holding onto Nic.  Around 1:45 a.m. Payton woke up crying, we asked what was wrong to which she responded with by throwing up all over the bed spread.  We got to her as quickly as we could and took her to the bathroom where she finished throwing up.  We took off the bed spread changed her jammies and she fell right back to sleep.  I'm sure it was motion sickness because she was fine afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment