Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Alaska Cruise Day 2 and 3...

 Our second day on board was our first all day at sea.  We woke up and gorged ourselves with a huge breakfast.  Seriously I wanted a little bit of it all.  After breakfast we went to a trivia game that I knew none of the answers to.  I did learn a few things though.  Do you know what the first song sung in outer space was? I know you are all thinking 'He's Got the Whole World in His Hands' which was my guess, but it was actually 'Happy Birthday'.  Yes you all learned something new today.  After trivia we went to a food carving demonstration.  It's amazing the imagination they have to create their pieces.  Once the food carving was done so was Connor.  Nic and Connor went back to the room for a little snooze while the rest of us walked through the ship some more.  It took us awhile to get used to where everything was, and where we were. We found the little kid area and Payton had fun riding on the trikes while Maddie and I had a blast with the hula hoops.  Maddie and I made a video which we thought was hilarious.  I will have to get it from Nancy sometime.
Of course when Connor woke up we went and played in the pool and relaxed in the hot tub for a few hours. It was then time to get ready for dinner. That night was our first of two formal nights, our scheduled dinner time was at 5:30.  When you go on cruises you are constantly eating, I don't think there was a time where I ever felt hungry.  But at the same time everything looks and sounds so good so I had no self restraint.
Day 3 after we got ready we went and watched for wild life as we were porting into our first stop in Juneau.  In the water we saw porpoises and right when we docked there was a bald eagle in the trees on the mountain side.  We were all in awe of how beautiful it was.  We were constantly surrounded by gorgeous views.  The trees were so green and with the leaves being new it looked like a florescent green up against the ever green trees. There were waterfalls coming down from the top of the peaks everywhere you looked.
Our excursions at Juneau consisted of riding a bus to Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching, and Dad and Maddie went on a Zip Line.  Mendenhall Glacier was amazing! My pictures don't do it justice of how big and blue the glacier was.  We chose to go on a little walk to get closer to the glacier.  It also took us right next to a huge waterfall that had so much water coming down.  They said that it is like that all the time except during winter when it's frozen over, then it becomes an ice climbing attraction.
My mom was very hesitant to agree to go on a whale watching tour just because they have been on so many and haven't seen anything.  It wasn't too long into our excursion when we saw a whale that my mom was pleased.  Throughout our excursion we saw 6 different whales two of which were a mom and it's calf.  The most exciting part of the tour was when one of the whales jumped out of the water and did a tail slap.  Of course I missed it, both times.  Luckily the guy next to me got the shot so I took a picture of his picture. We got back to the ship around 8:15 and met up with Maddie and dad before we left Juneau around 9:00.























































No comments:

Post a Comment