Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Alaska Cruise Day 4...

 Day 4 of our cruise was spent in the town of Skagway, meaning a windy place with white caps on the water. With a name like that you bet we experienced some wind.  Our excursion for Skagway was to take a bus tour up to White Pass.  The bus took the same rout that the gold miners would walk up.  I don't know if making a small fortune would be worth all the work and hard times that they experienced, especially during the winter months.  All along our drive we saw so many waterfalls.  The first one pictured below was called Bridal Vail Falls.  It was beautiful.  As we were driving we hit some pretty thick fog that the bus drivers have to get special training for.  The summit was on the boarder of Canada so to do this specific excursion our passports were needed. Again the views that we saw were beautiful.  During winter White Pass has some of the best Snowmobiling around. After our tour was through we walked through town.  Skagway has a population of 920 people, our guide joked and said that it just changed to 921 since a lady had a baby recently. During the summer months Skagway will have over 900,000 visitors.  They also said that one of our ships can power 5 of their cities.  Amazing! It was quite the cute little town with some amazing views.  There was a building that they decorated with driftwood.  I can't imagine putting piece by piece to make such a unique style building.  After touring through town we went back on the ship to have some lunch. My parents and Nic and I decided to go for hike.  The kids stayed and swam with Maddie while we went out.  We hiked to Lower Dewey Lake.  The water was clear, the temperature was cool, and the air was fresh. You would never guess that from looking up from the town that there was such a big lake in the mountains.
That night on the ship I had fun getting involved in the entertainment.  I first played some Minute to Win it games.  The team that I was put with sucked horribly but it was still fun. After that we went into the Lounge and they were about to start a game called Yes No.  The idea of the game was to have a conversation with one of the directors for 3 minutes with out using the words yes, no, maybe or anything remotely close to it including nodding or shaking your head.  Sounds easy but it was very difficult.  People were getting out 15 seconds into the game.  They called my name and I was doing so good! They asked me questions like, "So your name is Shannon?" "Did I say that correctly" "Is this your first trip to Alaska" Questions like that.  Well I lasted 2 min and 46 sec. before I accidentally said yes.  I was so close! She got me out when pointing over to Connor and saying, "That little boy over there is yours?" I did get the furthest into the conversation so I won the game and won some champagne. You bet the party didn't stop there.  We ended our night watching the crew members put on a talent show.  Some of the acts were singing, dancing, belly dancing and so forth. 
























 I saw some trash in the lake and was going to pick it up until I read what it said.















 This is at 11:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment