Monday, June 25, 2012

Montgomery Camp...

 Thursday morning we left on a Montgomery Family camping trip down to Bryce Canyon. We had such a great time with everyone.  On the first day we went into the park and drove to the scenic over looks and saw all of the beautiful red rock formations. The second day we went on a hike in the morning and the afternoon we spent getting dirty four wheeling.  I don't think any of us have ever been that dirty... especially Grandma! Since there hasn't been any rain all of the trails were just inches of loose dirt.  My pictures don't do justice. I rode on the four wheeler with Grandma on the back and I don't think she will do that again.  At one point she asked me how fast we were going and I told her 35, she then responded that it felt like we were going 150.  Poor Grandma I probably gave her a heart attack. The next day we headed down the long dirt roads to see an Arch and hike some slot canyons.  We had hiked a mile to get to the slot canyon and had just started dropping into it.  The younger ones did it with ease then it was Joni's turn.  When she was trying to get down she slipped and fell and all we heard from up above was "$%&* it's broke."  I as did my parents thought she was meaning her camera but we quickly found out it was her ankle.  A little bit of panic set in as we wondered how we would get her out.  Thank goodness we were all together.  Megan used her skills and made her a splint with a shirt and sticks and then the boys and men hoisted her out with a rope that my dad had thankfully packed. Once we got her out there was still a mile hike back to the cars.  She was treated like royalty as the boys picked her up and carried or supported her the whole way back.  We made it back to camp and all of us kid's went swimming in the pool that was at the camp while the parents hung out with Joni with her foot in a cooler.  We left the campground around 7 to head home.  It was a very long drive especially because I was the driver since my mom and dad were passed out along with the kids'.  But we did make it home safely and the verdict on Joni's foot is that the ligaments are strained and she is in a boot for 3 weeks.
I was so glad we were able to go on this trip it was so much fun being surrounded by family.  I hope to continue this as a yearly tradition.


The slot canyon...
 The rescue...


No comments:

Post a Comment